Zirconia Dental Crown FAQ Guide
1. Advantages of zirconia crowns
Zirconia dental crowns offer several benefits, including:
- Zirconia is very strong and can withstand the daily wear and tear of chewing and biting, especially from your back teeth. It makes zirconia crowns long-lasting and less prone to chipping or cracking.
- Zirconia crowns are without a metal base, providing a more natural and attractive appearance than PFM and full metal crowns.
- A monolithic zirconia is the strongest among all-ceramic crowns. If you choose a monolithic zirconia crown, dental practitioners do not need to prepare much of your natural teeth, preserving more of the natural tooth structure.
- Zirconia is biocompatible. It is unlikely to cause allergic reactions or adverse tissue responses in the mouth.
- Zirconia crowns do not corrode. They maintain their appearance and functionality over time.
- Zirconia can be crowns, long bridges, and dental implants, making it a versatile material for various dental restorations.
2. Disadvantages of zirconia crowns
Like other dental treatments, there can be several potential disadvantages to consider:
- Though zirconia is without a metal base, its translucency is not as high as some other materials such as E-max crowns.
- The surface of zirconia crowns (including the inner surface) is very smooth. This cannot be totally resolved through sandblasting or acid etching. Therefore, if a natural tooth is not properly prepared, or the abutment is too small, the zirconia crown may slip off.
- Zirconia crowns can be more expensive than some other types of dental crowns, such as non-precious full metal crowns or non-precious PFM crowns.
- Zirconia is strong, but it is not flexible at all. It can be brittle and may have the potential to fracture under extreme forces or under some circumstances. For details, please refer to:
A dental case where a long zirconia bridge is not a good idea
Dental implant cases with long zirconia bridges
3. What types of zirconia crowns does Robust dental supply?
Zirconia is a type of all-ceramic (metal-free) dental restoration. Normally, Robust dental lab produces 4 types of zirconia crowns and bridges:
- porcelain zirconia
- monolithic zirconia
- Multi-layer full zirconia
- Zirconia base with E.max ceramic
4. The procedure of mounting zirconia crowns
- Take an X-ray of your mouth and also prepare your tooth for the procedure, which might include administering local anesthetic.
- Get rid of part of the external layer of your tooth, if essential.
- Make a perception of your tooth.
- Mount a momentary crown over your tooth.
- Have a dental laboratory make the crown from your impressions.
- Ask you to return to their office after the new crown is made to ensure that they can seal it to your tooth.
- Your dentist will provide instructions on caring for your zirconia crown, including proper oral hygiene and regular dental check-ups.
5. NO same-day insertion
Even though a zirconia crown is made with help of CAD/ CAM (computer-aided design and computer aided manufacturing), you normally cannot have it inserted on the same day when you first visit your dental offices. It is very quick to design and mill a full zirconia crown, but the crown should be sintered at high temperature for many hours.
In Robust dental lab, a multi-layer zirconia crown should be sintered at high temperature for at least 14 hours. Only through this way can you have a tough zirconia crwon with high translucency on the incisor.
6. Variables affecting zirconia crown longevity
Normally, a zirconia crown can last 10-15 years with right care. Although zirconia crowns are very tough, there are some variables that will affect its lifetime:
Your dental laboratory
It is very vital to fabricate your crown in a good dental research laboratory. A good dental lab should be serious about materials. The zirconia blocks have to be FDA and CE certified. Besides, dental labs should be strict on manufacturing standards. It ranges from margin, contact, bite and shade. So a zirconia crown can have easy fitting and can be aesthetic appealing.
It is extremely essential to maintain your dental hygiene if you intend to increase the duration of your crown. If the individual does not focus on health there will be modifications in periodontics which inevitably fail your crown. Two times a day brushing with flossing will certainly enhance the life of zirconia crowns.
Avoiding tough food
Once the medical professional inserts your crown, it is very important to prevent tough food from that side. For instance, hard candy, ice, extremely sticky food, squashing of whole walnuts, and opening up any kind of bottle from that tooth should be avoided.
Regular dental follow-up
See your dental practitioner every few months for normal cleansing and also sprucing up. It is additionally recommended to take an x-ray when you go to the dentist, so we can make certain that every little thing is fine.
Adhere to the dental professional’s instructions and also preserve great dental hygiene to ensure your zirconium crown will last longer.
Zirconia crowns could be a great choice, if you need a crown in your teeth. Zirconia crowns has a variety of advantages. However, you’ll likewise intend to weigh the feasible disadvantages as well as the price when talking about the problem with your dentist. Robust is a professional Zirconia dental lab in China with more than 10 years of dental lab outsourcing experience, we can process 10,000 dental cases each month. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.